Monday, September 7, 2009

Preface

So now is the time where my friend Eero would say, “Hey man, you’re way too awesome to be writing on your blog and not be reading your John G. Lake book.” Indeed, my amigo from Finland is right, as it would be in my best interest to finish all my summer homework before school starts. But when you really think about it, I’ve been putting off writing for so long, it’s something I must start immediately. Yes, I know that if I’m going to start writing, I should start writing my book report. Yet something inside me is saying that it’s not all about what is in my best interest but what is in the general interest. So what do you want to read? A half-written book report on a half-read book or my thoughts and creative ideas that if I don’t write down at this exact moment may disappear forever? Yeah, I thought so, too.

My blog is called “Out of the Silent Planet,” until I decide otherwise, of course. No, it’s not about C.S. Lewis’s famed science fiction novel, although I may refer to it from time to time. It is definitely not about the Iron Maiden song! (You know that a person really means something when he ends the sentence with an exclamation mark, even though it’s completely unnecessary). For me, “Out of the Silent Planet” means I’m writing my thoughts and ideas down, whereas before, I would keep them to myself. I’m leaving my silent planet but probably not literally in the same way as Dr. Ransom. I was obviously not kidnapped by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken to another planet. I’m still here, on planet earth. The title is just a cult reference and a symbol of my writing being exposed to the world, not just being kept to myself.

Now what do I write about? I propose a blog about everything and nothing. Don’t understand that? The blog is just for you! Oh, you do understand that. Then, the blog is also just for you! (Although I may argue that you are, in fact, a pseudo-intellectual). In the 1990’s, the TV show Seinfeld proposed to be about nothing. That’s what I propose in this blog, nothing. But then again, I must say that my nothing means everything to me. Hence, a blog about everything and nothing.

I know my predecessors, Aaron Ninaber and Billy McGrail, wrote many beautiful words in their first posts on their blogs, but I think I must stop here (by the way, if you have a chance, follow the links to their blogs – amazing writing by amazing people). Writing has always been a passion in my life, and it’s something I feel can change the way people think. It’s all about changing cultures through words. This is my passion.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is gonna go far, and change the way ppl think bro. Never stop hitting those keys on that mac book. Oh and your already hired to write my biography, should the time ever come.

    ReplyDelete